Well, as I noted before, it is that time of year for lists. Mostly "Best of" and "Worst of" with the range of experts and contributors extremely varying. I especially like the way Time Magazine's website has broken down their 50 Best Websites of 2008. Instead of the usual 1 through 50, with 1 being the best, it's more just a list of 50 separated into 5 subcatagories. The cataggories are Advice & Facts, Info & Gossip, Handy Tools, Fun & Games, and Hobbies & Interests. At the end there is the requisite poll providing a ranking of the sites in order.
So, here are eight of their 50 that I really appreciate making the list (no specific order).
- Hulu (Fun & Games) - Where you can streamline Bionic Woman or Conan O'Brien or the Simpsons or whatever. Taking procrastination on the computer to a wonderful new level.
- NexTag ((Handy Tools) - Because comparative shopping done well is just a good thing. Especially in this economy.
- GasBuddy (Advice & Facts) - How much are you paying per gallon? Is it worth the gas to drive 2 miles to a "cheaper" station or are they the same? Find the best prices on line and head their directly. Yeah.
- Zeer (Advice & Facts) - You can read all the nutritional labels of packaged food and then get user reviews. So, if you are like many, and think that Ben & Jerry's portion sizes are laughable, then here's a great site for you.
- Afrigadget.com (Info & Gossip) - Why, yes, developing nations are being creative with sustainable agriculture, etc. You may not see these get the top headlines they deserve elsewhere, so happily you can still learn about them here.
- Lookybook (Fun & Games) - A new site with full previews of children's books. Now you really can tell what's age appropriate before purchasing on line. Barnes & Nobles beware!
- Open Source Food (Hobbies & Interests) - Food is community. Community is food. I love sharing food. I love sharing recipes. This is nice.
- Picknik (Handy Tools) - Free photo editing for novices. Make those mistakes look artsy with easy to follow directions.
For the complete list check out Time Magazine's website which currently has a "Best & Worst Lists" tab at the top. Which 8 would you have highlighted?