PC Fixer in Los Angeles has been perfecting the PC tuneup process for over 13 years. Want to make your computer faster? Here are the top ten ways to do so:
- Adjust your startup items with the msconfig command. Knowing what to turn off takes experience.
- Adjust your startup services with the msconfig command. Knowing what you can turn off takes much experience and is different for every computer.
- Turn of desktop wallpaper, clean out your temporary file folder and adjust the Windows GUI.
- Run Spyware Doctor 4.0, update it and remove spyware.
- Uninstall Norton Antivirus or other bloated security software packages and replace them with efficient software such as Eset NOD32.
- Clean, optimize and compact the Windows registry with a program such as Registry Mechanic.
- Run bootvis. This unofficial Microsoft program will speed boot and shutdown times.
- Defragment the computer.
- Install more memory - if you have very little memory this will be HUGE!
- Uninstall unnecessary programs including the unused Windows programs with a program such as XP Lite.
- Clean the inside of the computer. Heat is the enemy of electrons so clean out those heatsinks and fans. Laptops too!
There are more things that can be done to eek out every last bit of performance from your computer such as overclocking and adjusting the BIOS. These 11 steps will take your computer performance to the next level.